Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I know you are probably saying "a soup recipe in May?".  Well, that is what this weather is reminiscent of.  We all do the chili or the vegetable soup on a cold evening, but how about some good old creamy chicken and wild rice soup. This recipe, that I got from my daughter in-law Brett, reminds me of Panera Bread's version ~ only this is better!




Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1/3 c. uncooked wild rice
1 T. veg. oil
1 quart water

1 med. onion finely chopped
1 rib celery finely chopped
1 carrot peeled, finely chopped
1/2 c. butter (stick)
1/2 c. all purpose flour
3 c. chicken broth
2 c. half and half cream (I use skim milk to cut the fat and it's still good!)
1/2 t. dried crushed rosemary
dash of nutmeg
1 t. salt
fresh cracked pepper
cooked shredded chicken breast

In med. saucepan combine rice, oil, and water; bring to boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in large pot, Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook onion, celery, and carrots in butter until almost tender.  Blend in flour; cook and stir for two minutes.  Add broth and un-drained rice.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir till slightly thickened.  Stir in cream, rosemary, chicken, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.  (About 8 servings or 2 quarts).



Note:  I've added more flour to make it a little thicker, and I've also added more rice.  Tweek it and make it how you like it.


Enjoy! 


Maybe soon warm weather will be upon us and I will be talking about cookouts on the deck!   I'm looking forward to that!!


1 comment:

  1. What a great way to make the most of the weather! There's nothing better than a good soup. I'll definitely give this one a try.

    I'll bet the hot weather will be here before you know it . . . then you can post a good gazpacho or cucumber soup recipe?!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete